Preventing Fire Damage Restoration In Your Kitchen

fire damage restoration milwaukee, fire damage repair milwaukee, fire damage cleanup milwaukee

A fire in your Milwaukee home is every homeowner’s worst nightmare. The destruction fires cause and the mess they leave behind is overwhelming to say the least. The most common place where house fires start is in the kitchen. Restore More specializes in fire damage restoration and wants to do our best to inform our neighbors of the things they can do to help prevent kitchen fires in their homes. 

Fire Damage Restoration In Milwaukee

  • Do not leave cooking food unattended. If an appliance is on and is hot, it should not be left unattended. From stove tops, to crock pots, to the oven, do not leave hot appliances on if you are not able to watch them. Even if you can’t take the heat, DO NOT LEAVE THE KITCHEN. 
  • Keep your cooking equipment clean, serviced, and in good condition. Empty the crumb tray in the toaster, wipe out the microwave, clean the oven, and then keep them clean. Wipe up spills on the stovetop, and do not cook on a dirty stove. Build up on the stove can begin to heat and smoke, and can become flammable. It is much easier to play keep up than catch up when it comes to cleaning your kitchen appliances. If appliances are not functioning correctly, unplug them and get them repaired or replaced. 
  • Do not leave electric appliances plugged when not in use. Mixers, coffee makers, toasters, and blenders continue to draw electricity when they are plugged in, even if they are not turned on. Any time there is electric current present, there is potential for fire. As wiring gets old, it can get faulty and increases the risk of fires even more. It is better safe than sorry, just unplug appliances when they are not in use. 
  • Do not put metal in the microwave; I repeat, do not put metal in the microwave. Metal will begin to spark as it heats in the microwave, which can turn into a fire and seriously damage the microwave. 
  • When lighting a burner on a gas stove, use extra caution. You should always follow the manufacturers’ instructions, and make sure that the area is clear from any flammable objects when lighting. 
  • Do not over fill pots or pans with oil or grease. When grease or oil heats up, it pops. The splatter from it can cause a fire, not to mention burns. If a grease fire starts, DO NOT USE WATER! Water and grease do not mix. Use flour or baking soda and pour it over the flames. If you have a lid to the pot and the flames are not too big, you can cover them with the lid to put out the fire. 
  • Keep flammable objects away from the stove. Dishtowels, hot pads, and paper towels can easily catch fire if they are left on or near the stove. If you have long sleeves on, or if you have long hair, keep them out of the way. Anything dangling near the stovetop is at risk of catching fire.

Being attentive, smart, and cautious in the kitchen can greatly reduce the risk of a fire breaking out.  If you do find yourself dealing with a house fire, our team at Restore More is ready to provide restoration services right away.